Monday, June 29, 2009

US troops pulling out of cities

Well, you've heard this in the news I'm sure. That is one bad thing for us mercs. Why, you might ask? The fact of the matter is, that this means more job for us under much worse conditions.

Up to now, US patrols have kept most neighbourhoods relatively safe, so that we could carry on with our daily tasks at least a bit easier. Now that there will be no more US checkpoints and army patrols, ragheads will go frenzy, I can assure you. In this past few days, more people were killed in bomb attacks than in the past two months... But US believes this to be a feasible solution, so well, I won't say anything. They still let us do the convoy runs, etc with much less probability for support than before.

The fact is that if we came under attack, which happened quite a few times already, we always had it in the back of our minds, that help is relatively close, as there was always a patrol within a few minutes distance. If we happened to be stuck in an area and under fire, it was always really good to know, that army guys will shortly be there and help us out. Even if they could not get to us right away, the fact that the ragheads had to divide their attention between shooting at us and watching their backs for an army patrol, was already a lot of help.

Now that's gone and quite frankly, I'm not liking the idea to trust the Iraqi police. I'm not saying that all of them are bad guys (I know a couple of good fellas there myself), but quite many of them are actually giving away information to the insurgents, which puts the entire police force on the bad side, for you don't know which one of them you may trust... Of course, commanders are having a big mouth, that they are prepared to take over control, blablabla, but that is not the case. They sound very much determined when speaking to the camera, but they look entirely different when they come under fire...

One of our convoy was attacked this week in an area, which was supposedly a calm neighbourhood. Two of our men were killed by the IED that was planted in between trash bags and was set off when the second SUV of the convoy passed by. I felt really sorry about them, as one of the guys was about to go home in two weeks time. He spent three years in Iraq and finally decided that it was time. Well, one of them fucktards had something else on his mind and killed him before he had a chance to get outta country. I was kinda sick all week, 'coz I know the guy's kids and wife. During one of my holidays last year, I've bumped into them at a popular holiday destination and we've spent a week together. His family was real nice, the kids cute... Well, what else to say, RIP brother, some might forget you, but I never will!

This attack was kinda approval for the other insurgent groups. After a relatively calm period, we were taking fire almost every day after this attack took place. Fortunately no one else was hurt of our people, only minor damage to the vehicles involved.
You know, I've always been so glad that ragheads have never been qualified shooters. They usually don't hit shit, just wasting ammo and their time / resources. But I guess this is part of the picture they have to uphold to be looked upon as fearsome fighters of the islam cause... Yeah, my ass...

Anyway, my best guess is that we're looking at a rather difficult period of time; soon we will find out whether Iraqi police will be able to handle the situation or they will be overwhelmed by the insurgents. My bet goes for the latter...

No comments:

Post a Comment